SYRACUSE, N.Y.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–#InnovationsThatMatter—JADAK, a business unit of Novanta Corporation (“Novanta”), announces the release of the ThingMagic M3e LF/HF RFID Secure Module enabled with the ability to read iClass and Prox encrypted badges in medical devices. Part of the JADAK Secure Access family of products, ThingMagic M3e developed in partnership with HID Global, is a compact module enabled with HID protocols which support several High Frequency (HF) RFID and Low Frequency (LF) RFID protocols including HID Seos, HID iClass as well as NXP and EM-Micro tags. JADAK will work closely with leading medical device OEM manufacturers to embed the module within medical devices that are sold to hospital and healthcare systems worldwide.
The M3e is the only LF/HF module on the market with a totally integrated Secure Access Module (SAM), an integrated circuit (IC) that handles secure communications and manages security keys required to access more than just the publicly available information on an RFID tag. When embedded in medical devices, the module allows clinicians to use their iClass or prox badges for seamless and secure user authentication and access to the medical device.
This level of security, a single sign-on workflow, is common at hospital workstations; however, this level of security has never existed for medical devices until now. The ThingMagic M3e Secure Module will help healthcare facilities adhere to stringent guidelines from the FDA and the Health Care Industry Cybersecurity Task Force requiring strong authentication by protecting patient information, ensuring that only authorized users can access medical devices and maintaining electronic records of staff members who have accessed the device, interacted with patients or administered medications.
Additional benefits to healthcare facilities include simplified workflows, time efficiencies, and infection control, since clinicians can quickly tap their ID badge to log into medical devices instead of using a password or other methods that can spread infection and add a significant amount of time to the clinical workflow.
“We’re proud to partner with HID Global to develop a completely integrated secure access module,” said Harinath Reddy, Sr. R&D Director, RFID, JADAK. “Healthcare environments are under extreme pressure to increase the level of security and user authentication protocols within their facilities. The M3e helps them to adhere to these stringent security guidelines while also utilizing their existing or planned iClass or Prox encrypted badge protocol.”
Additional highlights of the ThingMagic M3e LF/HF RFID Secure Module include:
- High Performance: M3e has a large field on HF & LF antennas, extending the read range and is pre-certified for these high gain antennas
- Full Modular Certification: The M3e is the only competitive secure LF/HF module that provides full modular certification, easing the burden of OEM customers in obtaining their own regulatory certification. It also allows the customer flexibility in choosing the antenna.
- Flexible and Future Proof: The M3e module has multiple SKU options with simple Do Not Populate (DNP) options and the platform is based on software defined radio architecture and allows for flexibility in adding new features
- Compact: Considering the high level of integration and SDR architecture, the M3e module is a small form-factor measuring in at just 26 mm X 22 mm X 3 mm
- Standardized: The M3e utilizes the same Mercury API interface as other ThingMagic products, making it very easy for customers to integrate from a software perspective
For more product information, visit https://bit.ly/2ZYccHo
JADAK, a business unit of Novanta, is a market leader in machine vision, RFID, barcode, printing, and color and light measurement products and services for original equipment manufacturers. The business designs and manufactures detection and analysis solutions that help customers solve unique inspection, tracking, scanning and documenting challenges. JADAK is based in Syracuse, New York, with sales and technical locations across the globe. For more information, visit www.jadaktech.com.
Novanta is a trusted technology partner to OEMs in the medical and advanced industrial technology markets, with deep proprietary expertise in photonics, vision, and precision motion technologies. For more information, visit www.novanta.com.
JADAK, a Novanta Company